Monday 15 April 2013

Lean Mean MAXI-Books - The Instructions (The Inner Pages)

Welcome!
If you are hopping along with UKScrappers you should have reached me from Ifa, but the hop started here if you have no idea what I'm talking about (there are prizes available for commenting along the way by midnight BST tonight)!

Last year I decided to make a MAXI version of my Lean Mean Mini-Book with the Mystery Kit from UKScrappers Now We Are Ten Cybercrop.

Jimjams - Lean Mean MAXI-Book collage

Using just 2½ sheets of decent quality double-side paper and 3 sheets of cardstock, it's an eleven page, 5" square mini-book with room for 21 3"x4" photos!  I blogged the pages of the book here and today I am sharing the instructions for the inner pages.  It's a photo heavy post, but hopefully all will be clearer that way!

The Inner Pages

Jimjams - Lean Mean MAXI-Book - Inner Page Instructions

Trim 2" from one edge of two of the patterned papers and cut the remaining sheet into a 6"x12" rectangle (I used Fancy Pants About A Boy Peace, Vivid and Wild Child).

Score the two sheets of 10"x12" paper along the long centre line (5") and score three times across the width  (½", 5½" and 10½"). These two sheets form the front and rear sections of the mini-book and are cut as mirror images of each other.

Jimjams - Lean Mean MAXI-Book - Inner Page Instructions

Remove a ½"x5" rectangle from one end of each sheet by cutting along the first width-ways score line to the central score line.  Cut a semi-circle from the edge which is still intact to provide a pull-out space for a tag.  Cut 5" along the middle width-ways score line on the opposite side to the semi-circle.  Cut 1½" along the central score line to the third score line and fold back the corners as shown in the photo.  Crease all score lines as shown in the photo.

Jimjams - Lean Mean MAXI-Book - Inner Page Instructions
Apply adhesive (I've used double-sided tape) along the small flap at the top of the sheet.  Apply adhesive to the outer edges of the bottom flaps and fold upwards to create pockets.  Turn the sheet over and apply tape to the same side of the central score line as the top flap & punched semi-circle.  Fold the sheet in half (from top to bottom) to form a concealed pocket with a semi-circular cut-out.

Jimjams - Lean Mean MAXI-Book - Inner Page Instructions

This completes one set of pages for the mini-book (the back pages of mine): containing a plain page, a pocket page with semi-circular cut-out and a double page with facing pockets.
Repeat with the other scored & cut sheet (remembering that you are working on the mirror image) to form another set of pages: a double page with facing pockets, a pocket page with a semi-circular cut-out and a plain page.
Each of the six pockets have room for tags measuring 4"x4½".

The half sheet of patterned paper is used to join these sets of pages together.
Punch a decorative border along one short edge.  Trim the sheet so that it measures 6"x9¾".  Score along both long edges of the sheet (½").  Score three times across the short width (½", 5½" and 9").

Jimjams - Lean Mean MAXI-Book - Inner Page Instructions

Trim away excess paper as shown on the photo.  Cut in ½" from the bottom edge along the "central" (valley!) score line. Score a diagonal line across from the top centre to a point 3" down the un-punched edge.  Crease all score lines as shown in the photo.

Jimjams - Lean Mean MAXI-Book - Inner Page Instructions
Apply adhesive to the ½" flaps as shown in the photo.  Turn the sheet over and apply some adhesive either side of the central fold line to seal the rear of the pockets which will be formed in the next step.

Jimjams - Lean Mean MAXI-Book - Inner Page Instructions

Fold back the punched border and adhere the right hand section to the back of the plain page of the rear set of pages.  NB: You will need a little extra adhesive on the flaps where the border folds back (see photo below)!
Adhere the left-hand section to the back of the plain page of the front set of pages.
The two central pockets have room for tags measuring 4"x4".  The inner pages are now complete:

Jimjams - Lean Mean MAXI-Book - Inner Page Instructions

Phew!  Well done for sticking with me this far!  Tomorrow I'll share the instructions for the cover.
ETA - the cover post is here!

In the meantime, please hop on over to Kathy to see what she has to share with you today (but remember to leave a comment, including your UKS name, before midnight tonight in order to be eligible for a prize from UKScrappers).

85 comments:

Wendy said...

Justmlove those papers. Great travel journal.

Wizbit said...

Fab tutorial, thanks for all the clear pictures they really help. Looking forward to the cover post. Do you mind if I pin this?

Thanks for sharing your mini book tutorial.

Wizbit (Liz)

Maria Ontiveros said...

Gorgeous paper, and what fantastically clear instructions.
Thanks for sharing,
Rinda

Julie J said...

I've bookmarked this to read tonight after work. Looks like something I would like to try. thanks for sharing.

MiniOwner said...

Just fab-u-lous! Thanks so much for showing us how to make your lovely book, Jemma.
Sue x

purply bunny said...

Love this, thanks for sharing. Might take me a while to get my head around the folding bit though! xx

purplybunny (uks)

Unknown said...

Brilliant tutorial and I love making books so I am bookmarking this one. Jen x

Lesley G said...

Great tutorial Jemma, bookmarked for later :) x

debbie r said...

Will be giving this a go for sure :-)

Unknown said...

What a stunning project. I MUST bookmark this to try.
Kim

CoventryAnn said...

Fantastically clear instructions :)

Lelly said...

Great instructions for the book. Looking forward to seeing the covers

UKS lelly

Suzy said...

Fab Jemma! Im off on a scrappy weekend this coming weekend and those instructions are coming with me - thanks for sharing

HilaryB said...

I love mini books, this looks fun. Tigerlady

Ifa said...

Fab mini max! You have an excellent set of instructions here, very clear.Thanks for sharing.

new2this said...

Great tutorial which makes a very complicated procedure easy to follow ... even I might make a decent attempt with these instructions. Thank you.

UKS new2this.

lorraine daniels said...

thank you so much for such detailed instructions..will be back for the cover ...

scrappybluecat uks

susibee said...

I'm a big fan of mini books and this is lovely so I'll be having a go sometime soon.

Thanks for sharing.

vixen said...

Fantastic Tutorial and lovely mini book.
from Boland x

Paulinexxx said...

I love mini-books and this one looks so interesting plus easy to follow looking instructions so I am definitely going to try this - have pinned it - thank you so much for sharing
PaulineD UKS xxx

Christine said...

Oh this is fab! I will be back tomorrow to see how the covers are made. Quite fancy having a go at this mini album :) Thanks for sharing.

chrisrydal x

Bethank said...

Lovely bookk look forward to the cover tommorrow.

Meg baby UKS

Sue said...

Love this. Have bookmarked this so I can print off the instructions. It will be great for a mini book I need to do. UKS sue1952

Leigh xx said...

fantastic mini book :)

Leigh11 xxx

Wendy said...

fantastic book :-)
*here be dragons*

Angela Toucan said...

that's beautiful
thank you for sharing how you made it, I'll be back tomorrow to see the covers made.

Alison said...

Fabulous Gemma! Love the detail and how you've managed to incorporate so many photos with just a minimal amount of paper! I just love that paper range too - Sunkissed, isn't it?
Ali x

Sharon S said...

What a lovely idea, am off to find some paper to have a go, many thanks!UKS - Sharon1973

Sian said...

First of all squeal as I have that orange paper and have always wanted to use it for something fab! I love this tutorial and can't wait for tomorrows cover tute! Thanks for sharing. Sian aka Violaceous :)

Mary B said...

Thanks Jemma I love the Mini version so I think I will definitely like to have a go at this one too

Nikki said...

Great Project JimJams! Will be looking out for 'part deux'!

chris said...

Love mini books so I;ll definitely be doing this one. I;ll be back tomorrow to see how the covers are done. thank you for sharing
Chris55- UKS

Maria said...

This makes into a super thing, and I adore that paper too (seems like there is a few of us) (Maria in France on UKS)

Unknown said...

Love this. Can't wait for the cover instructions. Thanks for sharing :) (uks Jacqui200284)

Allycat x said...

Thanks Jemma - fab little book. Almost forgot to comment, I got carried away looking further down on your blog - haven't read it for a while! Must come back soon! :)
UKS:AllycatD

Karen said...

This is lovely, will need to have a proper look later as I love mini books :) Kitty Crafts UKS

kjjc said...

Fab. Love the bright colours. Tanks for sharing.KJJC - uks name

Tinker said...

Thanks for sharing JJ, definitely one for my pin board. (UKS TinkerHamilton)

Julia said...

Such a clever book - thanks for sharing the tutorial. UKS - Julesaroony

Effie said...

Looks great... I'm going to give this a go...

furrypig said...

wow your mini book looks great so adding it to Pinterest so I can come back and study it (who knows I might even make one!!) xxx

K said...

Fab tut hun! Looks really nice, I shall definitely have to give it a go
Hugs
K (aka Sylphraven)

Claire said...

Brilliant project, thanks!

UKS - Clairewill

Yolanda said...

Lovely book, have it on my to do list now :) UKS - Scrappyyo

Sue Jones said...

my name is Sue and I am a mini book addict - this definitely feeds my addiction ! Will be having a go at this -Thanks
Soojay.

House of Bears said...

Oh we love mini books and yours is fab, thanks for the 'how to'.

scarymary555 said...

Great project but looks a bit mind-blowing at first glance will have to read it again and see if I can tackle one. Mary x

scarymary555 on UKS

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Great book & tutorial!

Beverley said...

I love mini books and yours is fab! Will check back tomorrow to see your cover...Uks...Bubbleblitt

marionh said...

love minibooks thank you for sharing---alibi

Anonymous said...

This looks great and very interesting - getting so many ideas from this blog hop so far and this one is a 'must male's for me. Thanks for the inspiration! Audrey uks name poetcrafty xxx

Chidkid said...

Thanks for sharing

gillyb's crafting blog said...

thank you for sharing this, hyou've done a great job.

cantstopstampin

Lesley said...

Great book and fabulous instructions. Will try this. UKS Tagsie

Jane said...

Gorgeous book, on my list to try! - Cassia

Niki said...

wow, thanks for giving us such detailed instructions. I will have a go at this, but there's nO guarantee that mine will end up anything like yours, LOL.

NIKIG(uks)

debbie r said...

Commenting again as i forgot to add my uks name this morning LOL

Beanpie11 aka Debbie R

misteejay said...

Wow, what a fab project and such lovely clear instructions - TFS.

Toni xx
(misteejay)

Sarah said...

Beautiful...and thanks for the clear instructions, feeling very inspired now! Hugs Sarah (butterbee on UKS)

Sarah said...

Love this and looking forward to seeing the second part. Thank you for the tutorial. Love, stillcrafting from UKS xx

Unknown said...

Beautiful! Such a lot of work has gone into it!
Laura Godfrey

Jo_annepinc said...

Lovely papers and a great looking book, will be back tomorrow for the covers tutorial :) JoPink

Fran said...

Thanks for the clear instructions and sharing your mini book with us.

Fran (Hedgie)

Unknown said...

Fantastic tutorial joanne

Tigs said...

I enjoy making mini books so another idea to add to the idea pile, thank you :)

thriftycrafter said...

Lots of nice little pockets and flaps in there, a great gift.

Stacey ScrapRed said...

Superb instructions - I love this project :)

Stacey Scrapred on UKS

The Scrapbook Lady UK said...

Great project! That is a really clear tutorial. Pinned it and will share at my crop! great stuff! jenx uks wear crafts

Unknown said...

A great mini book, thanks for sharing

Eileen said...

Brilliantly clear instructions (with fabulous pictures with measurements) and I've already bookmarked and pinned it. Won't be long before I try this one, I'm sure. (Eileen C)

Sam R said...

this is a great project!

uks - darm

Rooty said...

Excellent Jimjams, loved the mini version so will have to have a go at this one

UKS name Fizzydrink

Sandie said...

Great tutorial and mini book - ticks all boxes for me! Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing the cover next.

Gill said...

Lovely clear instructions. Thanks
UKS meggie

TracyW said...

Thanks for the tutorial, the photos help make it really clear. Must add it to my list of projects...
UKS - mumof4girls

Jolene said...

Thanks for sharing, I will have to sit and digest the instructions and perhaps make a dummy version! UKS Jolene

stitching lady said...

Makes me wish I didn't have to go to work tomorrow so I could stay home and play!!

Gibby Frogett said...

This is fabulous - great photos and info - thanks. Have made note to come back for better look. Gill x UKS name is Seaside Crafter.

Karen said...

I love the photo-heaviness! Much easier to follow after a 12 hour night shift! LOL
Bookmarked for later ref ! :)
UKS PinkSparklyScrapper

Melissa said...

Catching up on some blog reading today - what a fantastic album! Thanks for the tutorial.

Missus Wookie said...

I have those papers, used them once but then they came in another kit. Still love 'em. I really like these clear instructions and am sooo impressed with the marked up photos and everything. Thank you - shall have to have a play :)

alexa said...

You have put so much work into this lovely tutorial, Jemma - wonderfully clear and such a great result! I do love journals ...

Susanne said...

Wow, great project Jemma! I'd love to try one of these, but it would have to be on a day when I was feeling like geometry was my friend. Very cool.

Lizzie said...

Fabulous! Such a good, clear set of instructions and a great result!
I hope you won't mind me posting a link to this, on my blog's "Tutorials, Makes, Ideas" page?

Razzled Scrapper said...

Awesome tutorial. Thank you so much for sharing t. I will have to give this one a try.