Thursday 5 May 2011

Time for a quick tutorial?

Back at the beginning of the year I found a lovely flower tutorial over at Scrap a Little and adapted it slightly to make velvet paper flowers for this page using a 1" circle punch.  This week I wanted to make a pointier Poinsettia-like flower and adapted the method further by using a heart punch:


Punch some large hearts from paper and cut them in half - I used 5 half-hearts for my flower as I like 5-petalled blooms, but you could use 6 half-hearts, or 4 or whatever!  You also need a 1" circle from scrap card and a smaller flower to cover the middle messiness.  Ink the edges of the half-hearts and the small flower now if you like that sort of thing.  Fold the half-hearts at the round end and glue inside the fold.  I flattened the shape slightly at the pointy end to help the final flower stay flatter.  Crease the petals on the smaller flower shape upwards to add dimension.


Stick the folded half-hearts onto the 1" card circle and, once dry, cover the messiness in the middle with the small flower.  I added an eyelet in the middle, but a brad or button would be just as good.

Do you like making flowers for your pages?  If so, do pop over to Scrap a Little because Helen has loads of great ideas for different styles of flower - you can find them all here.

8 comments:

Sian said...

I have just bought a hot glue gun (tiny one, out of Tescos) and these flowers would be a perfect excuse for me to fire it up agin!

alexa said...

Now that's very clever! And very realistic ...

Denise said...

Oooh I'm loving these - might have to have a go :-)

Ginger said...

Wonderful tutorial! I do like to make flowers for layouts sometimes especially when I want something unique - this definitely is unique :)

airing cupboard crafts said...

Love the tutorial thank you so much for sharing x

Lou said...

fantastic Poinsettia - great tutorial. Been having a look around you have a lovely blog :)

Julie Ann Rachelle Interior Design said...

Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing! xoxo

Sherri Everett Thompson said...

Great tutorial, Jemma! Love the layer on your flower!